The Purpose of the Racial Justice Mission Group is to awaken the NH Conference to issues of racial justice and equality within our churches, state, and country. We are called to be:
- LEARNERS in a community of mutual accountability studying the impact white privilege and the history of slavery has on racism;
- INTERRUPTERS of the continued cycle of racism; and
- ALLIES with People of Color in challenging race-based injustice in the areas of criminal justice, environmental degradation, economic deprivation, and exclusion from full participation in our communities of faith.
Learning & Planning:
At our monthly meeting at the Conference Center, the agenda includes learning, as well as, planning action steps. We organized years ago and welcome new members. Those interested should contact Chairperson, Rev. Dr. Dawn Berry, email email@example.com.
Resolution and Process Guide:
The Resolution of Christian Witness in Support of New Hampshire Conference United Church of Christ Congregations Awakening to Racial Justice, was adopted by the gathered body at the Annual Meeting, on October 20, 2018. The resolution was a call to the churches of the NH Conference to take action in undoing racism, including both individual acts of racial bigotry ans systemic racism.
To help churches "live in" to this resolution the RJMG developed a document on the Process of Becoming a Racial Justice Church for the October 2019 Annual Meeting.
Not to be missed:
Trainings and Events:
- Save the Date: On June 21st we invite all NH churches to celebrate Juneteenth. RJMG is currently preparing worship resources for NH churches and they will be available soon. The RJMG will also offer an online celebration of Juneteenth on June 19th, a Friday evening. Juneteenth is a new NH state holiday and marks the day in 1865 that news of the Emancipation Proclamation reached the last slaves in Texas.
- Save the Date: On October 28th RJMG will provide Implicit Bias Training for Authorized Ministers, offered with leadership from Dr. Darnisa Jackson and Rev. Eric Jackson.
- The Racial Justice Mission Group workshops at the annual Prepared to Serve conference each February. Workshop titles in the past included: White Privilege, Implicit Bias, Awakening to Racial Justice 101, Reparations, Beyond White Supremacy, Forgive Us Our Trespasses (About Microaggressions), Cash Value of Whiteness, and Building the Beloved Community.
- The Racial Justice Ministry Group also organizes sessions during the fall Annual Meeting when an opportunity arises, or a pre-Annual meeting event. In 2017 we held a full day workshop with Keynote Speaker Bishop Dwayne Royster.
- The RJMG, along with the NH Conference Clergy Support Ministry, sponsored Clergy Day 2018 featuring Rev. Karen Georgia Thompson on “Preaching Beyond Black History Month”.
- Members of the RJMG are available to offer training or to preach at your church. Contact Chairperson Rev. Dr. Dawn Berry for more information.
Members of the Group: Dawn Berry, John Gregory-Davis, Gail Kinney, Ethel McConaghy, Kira Morehouse, Kate Kennedy, Renee Rouse, Curt Springer, Alberta Wallace, and Harriet Ward.
Download a flyer with this information.